Chem Coach Carnival

Be the first to comment!

>> Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's a great pleasure to be a part of ChemCoachCarnival that has been started at Justlikecooking by See Arr Oh. He has asked people working in chemistry to answer few questions (as below) which can be helpful for those interested in chemistry.

Your current job
What you do in a standard "work day."
What kind of schooling/training/experience helped you get there?
How does chemistry inform your work?
Finally, a unique, interesting, or funny anecdote about your career.

It's such a great idea to celebrate National chemistry week, loved it. Here is my entry for the carnival.

Your current Job

Postdoctoral research scholar (synthetic medicinal chemist) working on anticancer drug discovery.

What you do in a standard "work day."

Work day starts with a refreshing cup of coffee. Daily work roughly divides into bench work and paper works.
  • Bench work includes putting reaction, purification (workup, column) and analysis (NMR, HPLC, LC/MS)
  • Paper work includes searching and reading articles, analyzing spectral data, and writing manuscript.
Switching between works, whenever possible, is a great idea to reduce monotony (at least for me). What do you say?

What kind of schooling/training/experience helped you get there?

I did my bachelor in Pharmacy. After my undergraduate, I got an opportunity to complete both my master and PhD in medicinal chemistry (subject of my interest) with same supervisor.

How does chemistry inform your work?

Well, it teaches me how to make new molecules, what functional groups or pharmacophores are essential for the biological activity and how to add or change these pharmacophores.

Finally, a unique, interesting, or funny anecdote about your career.

Among many funny situation, one that always come in my mind is the incident when I got scared by Liquid nitrogen tank. The incident took place when I was in my first semeter of Master course. I was learning LC/MS with my senior in the instrumental room. All of sudden, in the middle of the experiment, there was a loud noise. I started running to find the exit door. Immediately, my senior asked me to stop and started laughing loudly. Later, I realized that the sound was from the liquid nitrogen tank produced as a result of gas release to prevent excessive pressure build-up in the tank. Though it was scary and embarrasing moment, it always amuses me whenever I recall.
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Medchemblog, 2009-present Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP